Victoria Bird, MD, Featured Faculty

It is a great honor and a privilege to be part of the University of Florida Department of Urology.  Our department has been ranked 18th nationally, in the top 3% of 5,000 health care facilities, and is also the highest ranking in the State of Florida. Our department functions in a state of the art institution which is actively involved in the continuing education of medical students, residents, fellows, and other healthcare specialists. Our services include general urology, urolithiasis, urologic oncology, pediatric urology, andrology, sexual dysfunction, minimally invasive surgery, endourology, laparoscopic and robotic surgery, urinary incontinence and reconstructive surgery.  In addition, the department is actively involved in both clinical and basic science research, with special attention to prostate cancer, kidney cancer, kidney stones, and urinary incontinence.

As part of the urology team, I will be based in the Urology clinic where my role will include evaluation and diagnosis of various urologic conditions, such hematuria, kidney stone disease, elevated PSA, prostate diseases (prostate cancer: active surveillance, as well as localized and advanced prostate cancer), urinary tract obstruction, voiding dysfunction, and erectile dysfunction. My goal is to educate patients in every aspect of their disease process.  As such it is important for the patient to understand their disease process, as it pertains to them, so that the best treatment, whether it involves medicinal therapy, or other interventions, can be employed for their benefit.

I am very proud of my medical background and training. I completed my medical training at the University of Wisconsin Medical School and graduated in top 10% of my class. I was honored to continue my education at a program that has the distinction of being one of the first urologic programs and an enduring leader in the advancement of urologic care in our country; the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Urology Department, headed by the Rubin H. Flocks Chair, Dr. Richard Williams, who designed training of residents with an emphasis in urologic oncology.  I feel very fortunate that I had training that would prepare me to deal with any field in urology as well as having excellent role models that focus on patient care, with respect and reverence for all. There are many aspects to the provision of high quality care for patients. These aspects include physician experience, working as a team with other members of the healthcare team in our hospital,  by having an individual understanding for each patient, and using this understanding to empower each patient with knowledge of their disease process so that they can fully participate in their care. We all have our own unique life circumstances that relate to our specific health related issues. As such it is important for the patient to understand their disease process, as it pertains to them, so that the best treatment, whether it involves medicinal therapy, or other interventions, can be employed for their benefit. My experience includes being part of a Urologic team which traveled yearly to the nation of Haiti providing urologic care to those in great need.

In additional to provision of care of my patients, I also contribute to the urologic specialty in the form of research. My primary research interest relates to how patients understand their disease and how they can more fully, participate in their care. My interests also include treatment outcomes and the quality of care that patients receive. Ultimately, it is also our duty as physicians to be ever vigilant in consideration of treatments that may better serve our patients.